What is Shea oil?
Shea oil is fractionated from Shea butter. It contains less of the component that makes Shea butter solid. It has its own unique rich but light texture.
The components of Shea butter & Shea Oil.
All Natural butters / oils are made up of fatty acids. Shea butter and Shea oil are mainly made up of Stearic, Linoleic, Palmitic & Oleic .fatty acids.
1.Stearic acid gives it the waxy, solid consistency.
2. Linoleic acid (vitamin F) produces ceramides. This plays a vital role in keeping your skin strong and resilient. It contributes to protecting the outer skin & acts as an anti-inflammatory, acne reducer and moisture retainer.
3. Oleic fatty acid tend to be very moisturizing and regenerating to our skin. They often offer anti-inflammatory properties and mimic our natural sebum. It is absorbed well by the skin, which offers softening and moisturizing effects.
4.Palmitic acid can act as an emollient. It can soften the skin and help it retain moisture by forming an oily, water blocking layer that slows the loss of water through the skin. This can improve dry and flaky skin as well as conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
How does Shea oil compare to Shea butter
Shea Oil contains approximately:
27% stearic acid
59% oleic acid
9% linoleic acid
5% palmitic acid
Unrefined Shea Butter contains approximately:
43% stearic acid
46% oleic acid
7% linoleic acid
4% palmitic acid
Is Shea butter more effective than Shea oil as a dry skin or hair care product?
Shea oil has all the advantages of the Shea butter without the disadvantages for example:
1. Shea oil is more moisturizing for our skin, thanks to the higher oleic acid content. It is also easy to apply as it has a much softer texture like a lotion but is as effective as a body butter.
2. Shea oil will absorb instantly leaving your skin softer and giving you a radiant long lasting glow.It is also has a more suitable composition to apply directly onto your hair if it feels or looks a bit dry
3. The scent of Shea butter can cause the Marmite effect. Some people love the slightly roasted nutty aroma but others hate it. Shea oil has a lighter scent than the butter so it will not illicit such a strong reaction!
4. When cold Shea butter actually gets so hard that it is challenging and time consuming to get it to the right composition to use. Shea oil does not present these challenges.
Monshea™ award winning skin and hair range is made from Shea oil we also have organic Shea butter available to purchase here.